[dns-operations] A dns-proxy for DNS over HTTP(s)

Mark Delany x2t at foxtrot.emu.st
Thu Aug 27 04:26:30 UTC 2015

On 27Aug15, Roland Dobbins allegedly wrote:
> On 27 Aug 2015, at 13:46, Mark Delany wrote:
>
> > My point is that DNS-over-TCP/HTTP is viable at Internet scale with
> > network latency characteristics similar to UDP with security
> > characteristics of TCP.
>
> I'm unsure this has been demonstrably proven to be true.

You are right. No one has tried it. Yet.

My thesis is that there has been little incentive to reduce the cost
of TCP state but that DNS-over-TCP/HTTP presents such an incentive.

In that context my earlier post spelt out how maintaining state for
vast numbers of TCP sessions by auth servers, at Internet scale,
should be tractable.

If you see flaws in my earlier post then we need not bother with
demonstrations. Do you see flaws?

If you see no flaws, then of course a demonstration would be a next
step.

Mark.