[dns-operations] Live-streaming the Root Zone Key-Signing Key Ceremony 22

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Aug 12 16:54:00 UTC 2015

On 12 Aug 2015, at 11:17, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

>> On Aug 12, 2015, at 08:41 , Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:
>>
>> ..... and once again this reminder comes too late for many people to
>> reorganize their lives.
>>
>> I sent this: https://www.mail-archive.com/dnssec-deployment@dnssec-deployment.org/msg00121.html
>> on Jan 22rd re: the 20th ceremony.
>>
>> Can these reminders please be sent out more than a day or two before?
>> The purpose of streaming them is for transparency - it is not achieved
>> if everyone already has made other plans….
>
> Considering that a large number of the participants must be getting on planes, it seems likely these could be announced several weeks in advance.

There is a balance to be found between sending out (once exploded) tens of thousands of messages per notification, giving the notification ahead of time so that some people can make time, and giving the notification close to the time so that people can remember to watch.

The approach we took back during the DURZ era was to send progress updates regularly (to tens of thousands of list subscribers) for reasons of operational relevance, but then to invite people to join a specific announcement list for future, more routine ceremonies.

It could well be that the announce list didn't gain the right subscriber base for it to be a complete replacement for all-lists-send. It's certainly the case that the earlier motivation was more aimed at letting operators know what was happening in case things broke, rather than increasing the amount of trust in the execution of individual ceremonies.

I don't know that there's a good answer to this. I think it'd be good if mention of that announcement list could be made in future broad announcements, though.

Joe