[dns-operations] Anycast resolver addresses (Was: Do Unix stubs round robin nameserver addresses?)

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Apr 17 23:09:47 UTC 2015

On 4/17/15 3:53 PM, Roland Dobbins wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2015, at 5:44, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>
>> 2. Use anycast to make your multiple DNS servers appear as one IP, and
>>  put that one IP in /etc/resolv.conf.  You can have multiple IPs,
>>  but each one should still be anycasted.
>
> The problem with using only one IP is that if someone accidentally
> fat-fingers an ACL or a routing statement or a firewall rule or
> whatever, all recursive DNS is hosed.
>
> So, anycasting *two* IP addresses (on differing netblocks) is probably
> warranted.

IME the behavior in failover to a secondary resolver address is so
troublesome that if you're going to go to the trouble of anycasting (or
load balancing) a resolver address it's better to go with just one.

In the unlikely event that someone does what you describe Roland (i.e.,
fat-finger access to a core services network), you're going to have so
many other problems that resolver failover is going to be the least of
your worries.

FWIW,

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not