[dns-operations] Do Unix stubs round robin nameserver addresses?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri Apr 17 22:06:45 UTC 2015

I have always believed (based on both the man pages, and what I've seen
in the field) that Unix stub resolvers follow the behavior described in
the man page. That is, they try the first 'nameserver' address listed,
and if it doesn't get a response before the timeout value expires it
then moves on to the next one in line.

I was having a discussion with someone about that issue today who
insists that they have empirical evidence that this is not the case,
that they have seen stubs that round robin the addresses. So, I'm
wondering if y'all have seen the same thing?

Curious,

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures.
This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not