[dns-operations] Why are cnames called "canonical" names?

Mike Jones mike at mikejones.in
Sat Apr 11 07:06:53 UTC 2015

On 11 April 2015 at 01:49, Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com> wrote:

> Edward Lewis wrote:
>

>> I used to have address records at the apex, with CNAME RRs at the service
>> names (except for NS) referring to the apex.  It seemed to work, but
>> sometimes folks (managers) just didn't like the idea of using CNAME RRs.
>>
>> The desire for CNAME-at-apex is unrelated, it is an artifact of how cloud
>> service providers manage IP addresses for their customers.
>>

> I've got a whole section in the book about cnames at the apex. That's
> what got me into this thread in the first place.

You queried about if it was appropriate to solicit feedback on the
drafts, while I don't know about posting an entire draft of a book
(doesnt that cut in to profits?), if this thread is anything to go by
then if you post that section to the list i am sure someone will find
some pedantic point to comment on/correct as this is a very
complicated issue when you go past the simple rule of no cname at the
apex and start talking technical details about why.

- Mike