[dns-operations] Why are cnames called "canonical" names?

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at mykolab.com
Fri Apr 10 02:16:00 UTC 2015

I can't help but feel this is relevant. :-)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/canonical?s=t
canonical
[kuh-non-i-kuh l]
 adjective, Also, canonic
1. pertaining to, established by, or conforming to a canon or canons.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/canon
canon
[kan-uh n]
 noun
1. an ecclesiastical rule or law enacted by a council or other
competent authority and, in the Roman Catholic Church, approved by the
pope.
2. the body of ecclesiastical law.
3. the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic
and universally binding in a field of study or art:
the neoclassical canon.
4. a fundamental principle or general rule:
the canons of good behavior.

- - ferg