[dns-operations] An simple observation

Shumon Huque shuque at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:15:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Davey Song <songlinjian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I‘m recently doing a little survey on the penetration of IPv6
> in DNS system and it's latent problems.
>
> I find that top websites like Google, Wikipedia,Yahoo already support IPv6
> access, but its name servers are still IPv4-only. I'm wondering why? is
> there any operation consideration or risk in their IPv6 deployment?

I've done brief surveys of a small group of well known tech companies (and
a few other groups) and a little over half of those have at least one IPv6
reachable authoritative nameserver (28 of 52 or ~ 54%):

    http://www.huque.com/app/dnsstat/category/techcom/

Yes, the new gTLDs do require IPv6, and my survey of that group seems to
confirm that this is the case in practice:

     http://www.huque.com/app/dnsstat/category/new_gtld/

You might be interested in NIST's larger measurement of over 2000 US
companies also. They show 77 of 2150 IPv6 reachable DNS domains (only 3.6%).

    http://fedv6-deployment.antd.nist.gov/cgi-bin/generate-com

--Shumon