[dns-operations] An simple observation

Davey Song songlinjian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 04:28:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 24, 2014, at 21:27 , Davey Song <songlinjian at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone, I‘m recently doing a little survey on the penetration of
> IPv6 in DNS system and it's latent problems.
> >>
> >> I find that top websites like Google, Wikipedia,Yahoo already support
> IPv6 access, but its name servers are still IPv4-only. I'm wondering why?
> is there any operation consideration or risk in their IPv6 deployment?
> >
> > There is additional operational complexity in running a dual-stack
> network, which implies some risk, but in my opinion it’s not serious enough
> to be a real blocker for most networks.  Some companies may have legacy
> assumptions in their application that makes adding IPv6 difficult in some
> way, but from the outside it’s impossible to identify who those networks
> might be.
> >
> > Some large companies simply have their own inertia to overcome.  It can
> take a while to get large re-engineering projects moving in larger
> companies, and they may need/want to wait until the infrastructure is in
> place everywhere before turning it on anywhere.
> >
> > It’s a little weird to me that google’s authoritative DNS servers are
> not addressable over v6.  Their Google Public DNS service does operate over
> v6, so clearly they have the infrastructure in place.
>
> Google has been focusing on IPv6 for the user first -- for example,
> the Google Public DNS stuff, the web interface, etc. Obviously enough,
> this involved a bunch of infrastructure work...
>
> For the auth nameservers -- there is work underway, and, AFAIK, there
> should measurement of the impact of v6 glue soon.
>
> Thanks for your explanation and comments, Warren and Matthew. Glad to hear
some work underway to make a fully IPv6 connected Internet. I once take it
for granted that the increasing IPv6 traffic WorldWide is based on IPv6
end-to-end (both IP/DNS layer) capability and  independent on IPv4
infrastructure. Now I realize it is not so optimistic.

This is not a risk free operation -- there are name-servers out there