[dns-operations] EDNS with IPv4 and IPv6 (DNSSEC or large answers)

Davey Song songlinjian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 04:50:53 UTC 2014

Under the context of this discussion, I want to ask a question about DNS
UDP size in IPv4/IPv6.

I read SAC-035 about a test on Broadband Routers and Firewalls. There are
27% DNS proxy still can not pass the packets larger than 512. I don't konw
whether it will be overcame by using IPv6 for transportation.

On the specification, IPv6 MTU is 1280 which gives a relief to that
constrain. Some body may say the enlargement of IPv6 MTU is trivial and do
not do much help to the EDNS0 efficiency ( more large packets> 1280). But I
have argument that the enlargement to 1280-1500 is vital and enough for the
case of priming exchange and DNSSEC.

To defend my point, I need some data and experience from dual stack DNS
operators who may compare the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS operation before. Do you
guys have any idea or pointers to related documents?

Thank you in advance.

Davey