[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Mon Sep 15 17:00:34 UTC 2014

On Sep 11, 2014, at 6:12 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>
>> for the time being, and perhaps for a long time to come, the
>> people who call the presence of .PROD a bug and/or depend on its absence
>> as a feature, outnumbers and will outnumber the people who call it a
>> feature or who will call its absence a bug.
>
> How do you measure that? This is a serious question, one that affects DNS operators. If you have a way of determining how many enterprises are negatively affected as a new gTLD rolls out, that would be very useful information.

ICANN chose to not require logging for controlled interruption, so measuring
it like that will be difficult.  However, enterprises can make their own
measurements.

Over the weekend I updated dnstop[1] so that it will show queries for names
in the new gTLDs.  An enterprise or other organization that depends on
not-fully-qualified names internally may want to run dnstop with this
filter to see if they are leaking queries and relying on NXDOMAIN responses.
e.g.,

  $ sudo dnstop -f new-gtlds eth0

DW

[1] http://dns.measurement-factory.com/tools/dnstop/