[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Sat Sep 13 14:54:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>
>> for the time being, and perhaps for a long time to come, the
>> people who call the presence of .PROD a bug and/or depend on its absence
>> as a feature, outnumbers and will outnumber the people who call it a
>> feature or who will call its absence a bug.
>
> How do you measure that? This is a serious question, one that affects DNS operators. If you have a way of determining how many enterprises are negatively affected as a new gTLD rolls out, that would be very useful information.

My advice to enterprises is to consider the following:

Let the value to your enterprise of resolving the new domains be X
Let the value at risk due to resolving the new domains be Y
Let the cost of disabling new domain resolution be Z

If Y > X-Z  then the obvious choice is to turn off resolution of new domains.

Since X and Z are both zero the choice is obvious.