[dns-operations] EDNS with IPv4 and IPv6 (DNSSEC or large answers)

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Sat Sep 13 10:24:22 UTC 2014

On Sep 13, 2014, at 4:37 PM, Franck Martin <fmartin at linkedin.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that UDP fragmentation is something frown upon in IPv4 and even more on IPv6 (because of processing power needed, and security concerns)?

No.  IP fragmentation is a normal part of TCP/IP communications across the Internet.  It isn't something to actively wish for, but it's perfectly normal.

> -limit size to <1500? on both IPv4 and IPv6?

No.

> -allow UDP fragmentation on IPv4 and IPv6, how securely?

Yes, allow it; there's no security issue.  This is a myth originating with clueless vendors in the mid-1990s, and propagated today Confused Information Systems Security Professionals (CISSPs) and their ilk.

> Any good documentation, pointers?

Slide 153 of this deck:

<https://app.box.com/s/r7an1moswtc7ce58f8gg>

                   Equo ne credite, Teucri.