[dns-operations] Hearing first complains about failing internal resolving due to .prod TLD

Francisco Obispo fobispo at uniregistry.link
Fri Sep 12 18:07:35 UTC 2014

On Sep 12, 2014, at 6:46 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

> It's too late to teach Internet users and existing setups/applications
> to use fully qualified names and put a dot at the end (because of the
> TLD.TLD problem, too).

I disagree with this comment, we need to fix what’s broken and move on.

> One could even argue the damage in wasted resources, lost business, bad
> service etc for all concerned is way more than the benefits being
> created by the new gTLDs for a much smaller group of people.

How about in 20 years? would it be the same? I don’t think so.

My daughter who is 3 years old will not know the difference between
a .COM and a .LINK name, I believe it is a generational issue.

Remember that when you mention a “smaller group of people” also include
the of new TLDs that are IDNs, which now enables people to type URLs in
their native languages.. The Internet needs to evolve to be more inclusive
and new TLDs are just a part of that.

--
Francisco Obispo
CTO - Registry Operations