[dns-operations] Dumb question: why is it that some registries limit the nameservers that can be delegated to?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Sep 12 13:22:47 UTC 2014

[ Note: I haven't had my morning coffee yet, this post likely rambling
/ incoherent... ]

What ever happened to the "let's use the glue as a service address"
trick? There was some drama about this a number of years ago, but it
died down, possibly as bandwidth and DNS became cheaper...

I cannot remember all the details, but basically I create a host
object (nameserver) named whatever the service I want to serve is --
so, if I have example.com, I register the nameserver as
'www.example.com', with the IP of my webserver, and now most of my
lookups are handled simply by the glue. I also run a nameserver on
that address, which has records for everything other than www (or
whatever) record.

There were some issues (other than agility) that my caffeine deprived
brain cannot bring to mind, but...