[dns-operations] is there a diagnostic tool to obtain delegated ns?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Sep 12 12:07:08 UTC 2014

Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:

> res_findzonecut(), inside libbind (now called netresolv), provides an
> API that does what you don't want (gets the zone's apex NS RRset), but
> is implemented with logic you could hack to grab the information you do
> want (the closest ancestor's delegation NS RRset), as it goes by.

I don't think that will work: res_findzonecut talks to a recursive server,
but to get the delegation NS RRset you need to talk to the authoritative
servers for the parent zone. Also res_findzonecut works from the bottom up
and stops just below the zone cut.

Tony.
Trafalgar: Cyclonic in northwest, otherwise mainly northerly or northwesterly
5 or 6. Slight or moderate. Showers in northwest. Good.