[dns-operations] Dumb question: why is it that some, registries limit the nameservers that can be delegated to?

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Fri Sep 12 07:53:12 UTC 2014

On 11/09/2014 19:03, dns-operations-request at dns-oarc.net wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation, that helps! If we step back from the
> practise, do we think it's a good thing?

I'm of the opinion that something that can be determined
algorithmically (i.e. when glue should or shouldn't be added),
should be done exactly that way.

A separate registration process prevents this and introduces
a whole bunch of other issues, such as who owns the object,
who can operate on it, what happens when it gets orphaned,
or the parent changes registrar, what happens to
dependencies on deletion etc.

And I'm also 100% with marka on this. If the server being
delegated to can't respond for the name being delegated to,
the Registry delegating thereto is just being irresponsible.
[with delegation being separate to registration imho]

but I increasingly find myself on the losing end of these
arguments when money or market entrenchment/forces
come into play.

--Calvin