[dns-operations] Dumb question: why is it that some registries limit the nameservers that can be delegated to?

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Fri Sep 12 00:35:40 UTC 2014

> From the point of view of data management, I think it is an unalloyed
> good.  I always thought the nameserver-as-attribute approach was
> dramatically worse.  Particularly for internal host objects, the
> enforced consistency of the glue for every domain that's using it is a
> giant help.

It was curious to see that a to-be-unnamed TLD registry, a newcomer to the scene many years after the holy wars that ended up defining the current RFCs, writing completely new code, mentioned that they found attributes to be a better option, but decided to go with host objects due to registrar support. This doesn't prove which way is better, but for me it indicates that the role in the value chain can play a part in which option is preferred.

Rubens