[dns-operations] Dumb question: why is it that some registries limit the nameservers that can be delegated to?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Sep 11 16:46:50 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:34:32AM -0700, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation, that helps! If we step back from the
> practise, do we think it's a good thing?

>From the point of view of data management, I think it is an unalloyed
good.  I always thought the nameserver-as-attribute approach was
dramatically worse.  Particularly for internal host objects, the
enforced consistency of the glue for every domain that's using it is a
giant help.

> One the other hand, it can be beneficial to give every zone unique
> name server names (in-zone vanity names, or otherwise), even if those
> names resolve to the same name-servers.

Yes, although with the increasing amount of outsourcing of DNS, I
think you're bound to see a mix of unique names and very widely-shared
names.

Also, it's not like it's terrifically onerous, although I know some
registrars' web interfaces for this are messy and confusing.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com