[dns-operations] is there a diagnostic tool to obtain delegated ns?

Mark E. Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Thu Sep 11 16:19:00 UTC 2014

I'm going to be open sourcing a php class I wrote awhile back that we
use internally for finding the delegated nameservers for a specified domain.

This is distinct from "host -C" or doing a type=ns query because while
those will look at what are *thought* to be the NS records for the
domain (as reported by the nameservers themselves), it is not uncommon
to be at variance from what's actually delegated into the roots.

The class is just a wrapper that steps through dig +trace, but before I
clean this up, etc I'm wondering if we re-invented a wheel somewhere
along the line.

Is there already any tool specifically outputs the authoritative
nameservers as they are delegated in the rootzone for a domain?

- mark

--
Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.