[dns-operations] Dumb question: why is it that some registries limit the nameservers that can be delegated to?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Sep 11 16:16:04 UTC 2014

I'd always thought that this was kinda because of the way EPP is written --
not that it is actually required, but when reading the docs you see the
nameservers object and kinda assume...

I think at this point much of it is hysterical raisons.

On Thursday, September 11, 2014, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 07:52:31AM -0700,
>  Colm MacCárthaigh <colm at stdlib.net <javascript:;>> wrote
>  a message of 26 lines which said:
>
> > So why is it that name servers need to be registered? What's the
> > benefit of doing it?
>
> As an employee of a registry which does not require name server
> registration, I wonder, too :-)

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf