[dns-operations] RBL alert: impending sh*tshow for rbl.orbitrbl.com

Mark E. Jeftovic markjr at easydns.com
Mon Oct 27 17:52:02 UTC 2014

As some of you may know, we recently took over ZoneEdit.com and it's
customer base.

We've found a domain on the system: rbl.orbitrbl.com which is delegated
to zoneedit nameservers, broken (it is not allowed to zone transfer from
it's designated master), unresponsive (account owner is not answering
email, has an address in Sri Lanka and no telephone number), is using
excessive queries (~ >500M queries per day on a "free dns" domain) and
attracting repeated, multiple DDoS attacks.

As such, we will be wildcarding this zone and setting a long TTL fairly
soon.

If you're actually using this RBL in your MTAs, now's a good time to
stop. (this RBL is broken on 5 out of it's 6 delegated nameservers
across 3 separate providers).

- mark

--
Mark E. Jeftovic <markjr at easydns.com>
Founder & CEO, easyDNS Technologies Inc.