[dns-operations] resolvers considered harmful

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com
Thu Oct 23 21:30:02 UTC 2014

Interesting paper – thanks for giving the list a heads up. My comments:

1 – I think the claim “First, removing resolvers simplifies the overall system” is a matter of opinion. I may even argue the opposite, that the prevalence of large scale resolvers simplifies the overall system (but as an operator of one, I am admittedly biased).

2 – The sample size of a resolver serving 100 home users seems small. You may want to try to collect data from larger networks.

3 – I am not sure that authoritative server operators would be prepared for the large increase in query volumes, and not sure they’d be prepared to mitigate that by compromising with longer TTLs.

Regards
Jason Livingood