[dns-operations] resolvers considered harmful

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Thu Oct 23 18:31:36 UTC 2014

> Phillip Hallam-Baker <mailto:phill at hallambaker.com>
> Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:25 AM

> Bottom line is that if you try to use port 53 for client-recursive you
> will find yourself under MITM attack much of the time. And its not
> even all malicious. A lot of ISPs are MITM the DNS traffic so they
> don't get one of the big TLDs onto their case for allowing their
> customers to do DDoS.

my bottom line is related and similar: rdns is hard, and can't scale to
the actual internet access edge, currently two billion or more devices,
and growing; we need a well guarded path (like HTTPS without any X.509
CA intermediaries telling us what key to trust -- SSL keying material
has to be exchanged in some more-trustful way), to get from large
numbers of stubs to moderate numbers of recursives.

otherwise the DNS data path leading to the edge will continue to look
like, and be treated like, raw meat by the thin margin internet access
providers looking to plump up their revenue by selling ads one way and
telemetry the other way.

--
Paul Vixie