[dns-operations] resolvers considered harmful

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Oct 23 15:59:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:43:31AM -0400, Matthew Pounsett wrote:

>  It’s externalizing costs, not a trade-off.

Yeah, this was really the point I was trying to make.  For the overall
_system_ it is a trade off.  For any given actor, however, it is a
shift of costs.

Also, as I already noted, modelling this in a delegation-centric zone
uses the wrong model.  Moreover, the data sets are from a notably tiny
shared-iterative-resolver community.  It seems to me that
understanding the endpoint:iterative ratios in (for instance)
Comcast's, Time-Warner's, AT&T's, Verizon's, and T-Mobile's networks
(even just in the US) would go a long way to indicating whether the
inferences about load in this paper are realistic.

I think the paper is an interesting result and a useful contribution
to the discussion.  I think its conclusions, however, are a little
sweeping given the evidence.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com