[dns-operations] Source data about root server anycast locations?

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ottix.net
Sun Oct 19 12:16:29 UTC 2014

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Greetings again. The map and lists at
><http://www.root-servers.org/index.html> have a lot of data that would be
>valuable to analyze, particularly how close recursives are to root nodes
>(even if that's just geographic/political closeness). RSSAC is just
>getting started with publishing reports, and anycast location and
>proliferation has not been covered in the reports covered so far.
>
> Has anyone (maybe DNS-OARC?) kept snapshots of this type of data? Any clues would be appreciated.

For the AS112 project I have used the open resolver data to try and
'count' the number of anycast nodes by unique instances.  It would
probably be one more step to infer location - But I'd need to rely on
people taking the advice found in RFC6304 to state their location via the
TXT record.  The end-goal of the effort is two-fold:

- how many AS112 servers there are
- where are they and how close are they to each other.

The latter would be an educated guess based on the data.  But I think this
is what you are after as well.

 	https://www.as112.net/2012-survey.html

Wasn't there a draft in DNSOP which would also make anycast nodes more
easily identifiable?

wfms