[dns-operations] ShellShock exploit through the DNS

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at cdns.net
Tue Oct 14 08:01:02 UTC 2014

(Sorry, this is not strictly DNS, but I would guess that this is the
cause of this shell-shock vector).

When looking at the code for libc I was most disappointed to see that
"/bin/sh" is hard coded for both "popen()" and "system()"

Where as I had previously assumed that the environment variable SHELL
could override this.

As "/bin/sh" is almost always a symlink to "/bin/bash", and many O/S
scripts assume this to be the case (i.e. use bash specific features,
without declaring "#!/bin/bash"), so simply making "/bin/sh" a link to
(say) "/bin/ash" is probably not an option.

So heads-up to any systems that use "popen()" or "system()" but have not
had bash upgraded - they may also have vulnerabilities.

IMHO, these two vectors mean shellshock will provide all sorts of
unexpected opportunities, until everybody is upgraded.