[dns-operations] latest bind, EDNS & TCP

Simon Munton Simon.Munton at cdns.net
Sat Oct 11 10:07:06 UTC 2014

On 11/10/14 10:56, Peter Koch wrote:
> What makes you believe that your larger reponses (fragments?) really
> make it through?

OK - I see what you mean now.

If someone, for example, was filtering UDP fragments somewhere in the
path, the effect would be the same.

A Path-MTU of 512 for so many resolvers seems terribly small - although
I seems to remember from Nominet's analysis of DSL routers many are
limited to 512 in their DNS proxy, but the fact this came in rather
suddenly does not fit with that being the source of the issue.

I really have no idea what the cause is, I was simply alarmed by the
sudden and significant increase in TCP, and the bind policy change on
bufsize seemed to be related.

Presumably the code change was to resolve exactly the possibility you
describe?