[dns-operations] Is this valid edns0 query?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Oct 10 19:20:02 UTC 2014

> On Oct 10, 2014, at 2:54 PM, Hugo Salgado <hsalgado at nic.cl> wrote:
>

> On 10/10/2014 03:24 PM, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2014, at 1:07 AM, Mohamed Lrhazi <Mohamed.Lrhazi at georgetown.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> The appliance vendor, Google, tells me that edns0 opt code 20732 must be "the service name", whatever that means....
>>
>> I don't know what that means in the context of a non-SRV query . . . can you turn off the F5's 'malformed DNS query' scrubbing and see what happens?
>>

> Well... F5 is known of misbehavior with its aggressive filtering,
> even with AAAA records some time ago:
>  http://hugo.salga.do/post/50030273426/quad-a-blocking-in-dns

I’ve never had success with F5 and DNS packet handling properly going all the way back to Nov 1998 timeframe.  One of their engineers was troubleshooting it in our offices of my employer at the time and ended up upset and saying “why doesn’t this work” when it was broken vs being able to properly triage it.

I’m expecting someone from F5 to email me because at the time when I posted about the issue on NANOG they were aggressive in trying to defend a public view of their product and legitimate technical problems.

- Jared