[dns-operations] latest bind, EDNS & TCP

Peter Koch pk at denic.de
Fri Oct 10 16:43:45 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 02:53:38PM +0100, Simon Munton wrote:

> I seem to remember someone saying that the latest version of bind starts
> with bufsize=512, but presumably it will learn a larger bufsize
> capability, if declared by the responding server?

the decreased buffer size is in response to issues with the path,
so an "ecouragement" by the responding authoritative server
won't help.  In fact, that part is mostly useless unless and until
queries (maybe with additional sugar) exceeed 512 octets.

> Obviously this has the potential to vastly increase the load on TLD name
> servers over time.

> Is anyone else seeing this?

Our data shows "something" that needs a bit further investigation to
eventually declare it as noise, but it's not drastic enough to call
me to the drill instantly.

-Peter