[dns-operations] cool idea regarding root zone inviolability

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Fri Nov 28 07:29:06 UTC 2014

> On 27 Nov 2014, at 17:10, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
>
> On Nov 26, 2014, at 10:40 PM, Patrik Fältström <paf at frobbit.se> wrote:
>> FWIW, I have been working on this for a while with the Diplo foundation, and I am happy to answer questions (and of course listen to concerns).
>
> It is an interesting idea, but I don't get how it would work.  I asked Jovan back when he initially proposed it, but never heard back.

For me it is also "an interesting idea enough" to think about the experiment that:

1. We separate the problem of _production_ of the root zone from distribution and use of it

2. Parties (not only governments, but everyone) promise each other that we use the same root zone

> Is the theory behind this that governments around the world would enter into some sort of treaty or some other formally binding vehicle that would make the root zone inviolable? What would be the sanctions should the holder of the root zone (whoever it might be) ignore the inviolability of the root zone and how would they be enforced? How is that going to work given (e.g.) the US hasn't even been able to ratify the Treaty of the Sea and internal domestic politics will generally override any international agreement at politicians' whim?

We do not have a protocol police, but just having parties promising each other to not touch the content would be a good start. Exactly how to implement, that is another question, and one that Diplo is thinking about.

   Patrik