[dns-operations] cool idea regarding root zone inviolability

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Fri Nov 28 01:04:45 UTC 2014

If somebody said to me:

 "lets have a canonicalize() function which makes a deterministic
byte-stream of the state of a zone, and then calculate a checksum over it"

I'd struggle to say that was a bad idea.

If you have a transform which takes updates in any kind, AXFR or IXFR and
can then re-canonicalize and test the zone state against a known published
record of the zone state, whats the downside?

I understand there is an element of redundency in the scheme, against what
DNSSEC can alteady do at the RR level, but I think from whats been said,
and what is being said about schemes to provide for re-distribution of the
root, this makes a lot of sense.

The history only informs the present, it doesn't have to determine it. The
statement about 'learning from history, doomed to repeat it' is not meant
to say you cannot re-try things previously considered and rejected. It
means you need to be aware of them.

-G