[dns-operations] cool idea regarding root zone inviolability

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Nov 27 21:11:45 UTC 2014

... and Mark Andrews, Paul Hofmann, Paul Wouters, myself and a few others
(who I embarrassing enough have forgotten) are planning on writing a "zone
signature" draft (I have an initial version in an edit buffet). The 50,000
meter view is:
Sort all the records in canonical order (including glue)
Cryptographicly sign this
Stuff the signature in a record

This allows you to verify that you have the full and complete zone (.de...)
and that it didn't get corrupted in transfer.
This solves a different, but related issue.

Hope to finally get off my butt and post -00 soon.

On Thursday, November 27, 2014, Richard Lamb <richard.lamb at icann.org> wrote:

> Having worked on solas at Intl maritime org, I agree with David.  There
> are many parallels to that space and domain name space.  We should learn
> from that experience.
>
> Rick
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 27, 2014, at 11:19, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> > Patrik,
> >
> >> On Nov 26, 2014, at 10:40 PM, Patrik Fältström <paf at frobbit.se
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >> FWIW, I have been working on this for a while with the Diplo
> foundation, and I am happy to answer questions (and of course listen to
> concerns).
> >
> > It is an interesting idea, but I don't get how it would work.  I asked
> Jovan back when he initially proposed it, but never heard back.
> >
> > Is the theory behind this that governments around the world would enter
> into some sort of treaty or some other formally binding vehicle that would
> make the root zone inviolable? What would be the sanctions should the
> holder of the root zone (whoever it might be) ignore the inviolability of
> the root zone and how would they be enforced? How is that going to work
> given (e.g.) the US hasn't even been able to ratify the Treaty of the Sea
> and internal domestic politics will generally override any international
> agreement at politicians' whim?
> >
> > Regards,
> > -drc

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf