[dns-operations] Looking for a public blackhole/sinkhole IP address

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Nov 26 15:13:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I'm trying to find out if it exists a public IP address which is a
> black hole, swallowing every packet sent to it.

> I was thinking of non-routed addresses like 198.18.0.0/15 or
> 203.0.113.0/24 but it's not their normal use. AFAIK, there are no
> "public sinkholes" IPv4 addresses. For IPv6, there is 100::/64 but it
> is only internal, there is no public 100::/64 service.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6598 defines 100.64.0.0/10

    Packets with Shared Address Space source or destination addresses
    MUST NOT be forwarded across Service Provider boundaries.  Service
    Providers MUST filter such packets on ingress links.  One exception
    to this paragraph's proscription is in the case of business
    relationships, such as hosted CGN services.

    When running a single DNS infrastructure, Service Providers MUST NOT
    include Shared Address Space in zone files.  When running a split DNS
    infrastructure, Service Providers MUST NOT include Shared Address
    Space in external-facing zone files.

So you should be fine to use it :)

It is the responsibility of your ISP to filter it when you leak it out of your network.

Paul