[dns-operations] Looking for a public blackhole/sinkhole IP address

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Nov 26 14:53:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:25:47 +0100
Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> I was thinking of non-routed addresses like 198.18.0.0/15 or
> 203.0.113.0/24 but it's not their normal use. AFAIK, there are no
> "public sinkholes" IPv4 addresses. For IPv6, there is 100::/64 but it
> is only internal, there is no public 100::/64 service.

Hi Stephane,

There is not a well known netblock for the purpose you seek.

We've floated the idea of setting up a sinkhole with our new UTRS
project as an alternative to just using a traditional next-hop RTBH and
some people have expressed interest in doing this so we may yet offer
it.

While we might not be able to donate a prefix for general use, we might
be willing to also host such a sinkhole people can point any
unwanted traffic to.  If this is of any interest I'd like to know.  We
might need some hosting help around the globe if it takes off, but this
is the sort of thing we'd be well positioned to run and willing to do if
there was sufficient community interest.

John