[dns-operations] DNS Cookies and unknown EDNS option handling

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Nov 25 22:46:07 UTC 2014

In message <5474F5FD.3020702 at cdns.net>, Simon Munton writes:
> If you're feeling brave a WebUI to a conformance test would be nice
>
> ditto "Handling of unknown EDNS versions"

I suspect it would be better to build this sort of checking into
the existing delegation checking sites.

For explict EDNS checking I suspect it would be better done on a
vendor neutral site.

Have infrastructure zones run the checks on all the delegated to
nameservers and report ones which fail to comply.  There really is
no reason to stand up a server which is not RFC compliant.  This
is also something that tends to stay fixed once it is fixed.

Run the checks quarterly.  For the sites that I've reported issues
to it take between 1-2 months to get a fix in place.

I actually do 8 queries per <zone,address> tuple then examine the
results.

        # run the digs in parallel so that we don't have sequential timeouts.

        $dig +noedns +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/plain &
        $dig +edns +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/edns &
        $dig +edns=1 +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/edns1 &
        $dig +edns +dnssec +bufsize=512 +noad +norec +ignore dnskey -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/edns512 &
        $dig +ednsopt=100 +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/ednsopt &
        $dig +ednsopt=100 +edns=1 +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/edns1opt &
        $dig +dnssec +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/dnssec &
        $dig +ednsflags=0x80 +noad +norec soa -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/ednsflags &
        $dig +edns +dnssec +bufsize=512 +noad +norec +vc dnskey -q "$zone" @$server > $wd/edns512tcp &

        wait

and end up with something like this

% echo . a.root-servers.net | sh genreport
. @198.41.0.4 (a.root-servers.net): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok edns at 512=ok ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok
. @2001:503:ba3e::2:30 (a.root-servers.net): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok edns at 512=ok ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok
%

or this where there is a firewall blocking EDNS version 1 queries
and EDNS queries with a EDNS flag bit set.  Yes the server *is*
EDNS aware.  It just doesn't return a EDNS response unless DO=1 is
also set.  The two "=ok" responses had the DO=1 set in the query.

One to two days ago this was a non-EDNS aware server.  It's good
to see a DNS hoster turn on EDNS, now to get the implementation
fixed and the firewall fixed.

% echo styletread.com.au ns3.easyclouddns.net | sh genreport
styletread.com.au @203.55.142.22 (ns3.easyclouddns.net): dns=ok edns=version edns1=timeout edns at 512=ok ednsopt=version edns1opt=timeout do=ok ednsflags=timeout
%

>From this testing window 2014-11-23T00:00:05Z -- 2014-11-24T22:11:27Z
styletread.com.au. @203.55.142.22 (ns3.easyclouddns.net.): dns=ok edns=version edns1=timeout edns at 512=version ednsopt=version edns1opt=timeout do=version ednsflags=timeout

which shows a non-EDNS aware server behind a firewall blocking
EDNS(1) queries and queries with EDNS flag bits set.

Normally I'm feeding a whole stream of queries into the script.

While I'd like everyone to deploy EDNS what I want to see fixed are
the broken firewall and EDNS implementations.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org