[dns-operations] Domain Registrar-lock

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Mon Nov 24 11:25:52 UTC 2014

> On 24 nov 2014, at 11:11, Mehmet Akcin <mehmet at akcin.net> wrote:
>
> any pros/cons you can think of this being enabled by default other than obvious additional steps being required for domain transfers, and this adding burden for registrars, etc.

Because different registries do implement lock differently (if at all) and registrars to implement lock want one standardized way to do it.

Remember the world is not only gTLDs.

It is yet another difference that separates registrars from each other. I.e. market economy forces at work. Like many other factors.

This is only one of many.

   Patrik