[dns-operations] The Largest Cyber Attack In History Has Been Hitting Hong Kong Sites

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Mon Nov 24 11:19:22 UTC 2014

On 24 Nov 2014, at 18:10, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> I thought amplifications attacks using the DNS were old-fashioned,
> everybody moving to NTP and SNMP?

Attack vectors never go away - it's just that new ones are added.

We still see SYN-floods every day - and ntp, DNS, SNMP, chargen, and
SSDP reflection/amplification attacks, too.

Along with ICMP floods, DNS query floods, protocol 0 floods (devices
shouldn't forward them, but they do), protocol 50 floods, http GET
floods, http POST floods, RST floods, et. al.