[dns-operations] Interesting messages in our logs

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sun Nov 2 13:52:35 UTC 2014

Just to flush out the details here, in case anyone is wondering.  We
have a small number of domains that are DNSSEC signed, but those under
attack are not signed.

In the past two days, I am seeing RRL kicking in heavily for queries for
host names or subdomains in the form:

<variable>.example.com

 From IPv4 and IPv6 Google ip addresses.  At the same time, but I see a
few of the 'no more TCP clients: quota reached' messages. Again, after
the RRL limit kicking in, rolling over to TCP is expected.

I am seeing the 'attack' first against one domain for a period of only a
few(less than 5) minutes.  And then the next day, another flurry of
activity against another domain lasting about 4 minutes.

I am not sure what the goal is of the attackers yet.  But in bouncing
the queries through Google does a pretty good job of hiding their
identity from me.

I have logs with time stamps I can provide to Google if they are
interested.

In this the amount of queries against one domain did catch my attention
in reviewing logs, but the roll over to TCP causing the no more TCP
clients: quota reached' made it more interesting to follow up on.  Esp
to hear how the other side reacts to the TCP errors.  I guess Google
would have to answer that question.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.