[dns-operations] about the underline in hostname

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu May 29 22:41:48 UTC 2014

    > On 29 May 2014, at 18:56, wbrown at e1b.org wrote:
    >
    > > Out of curiosity, where did the prohibition of underscores in host names
    > > come from.  I'm sure there's a historical reason for it, but I've never
    > > heard it.  Or is it really as simple as "RFC 952 only listed thirty seven
    > > characters"

It might be un urban legend, but I once was told that since EBCDIC
had two different encodings for the underscore, the use was discouraged
for interchange of things that where supposed to be unique. (As example was
mentioned that therefore uuencode is not using it).

	jaap