[dns-operations] about the underline in hostname

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Thu May 29 18:06:49 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone that answered.  I did not realize that "check-names"
only checked things it considered "hostnames" and not all DNS names.  I
just reread the BIND manual and found:

check-names applies to the owner names of A, AAAA and MX records. It also
applies to the
domain names in the RDATA of NS, SOA, MX, and SRV records. It also applies
to the RDATA of
PTR records where the owner name indicated that it is a reverse lookup of a
hostname (the owner
name ends in IN-ADDR.ARPA, IP6.ARPA, or IP6.INT).

I had always thought that it applied to all records.  My apologies.  I
wonder if it always made that distinction?

--
Bob Harold
hostmaster, UMnet, ITcom