[dns-operations] Weirdness with glue for old (gone) DNS servers

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Wed May 14 22:07:01 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-14 14:18, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Then why does't the registry remove all the records below a delegation
> and any records that refer to them from the published zone when a
> delegation is removed?  Rinse, lather, repeat for any delegations
> that now no longer exist in the published zone.  The zone will be
> re-instated or the NS records will be updated to refer to nameservers
> in a different zone.

I *think* the concern is that the registry might be reluctant to modify
the configuration for one zone due to a change made on another,
administratively unrelated, zone.

What if the registry did rip these entries out and the NS records were
later restored, what would happen to the modified zones that now have
only a subset of their NS records?

How about when a domain under .com disappears, how would .org know to
change/remove the delegation.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see these issues solved, but I don't
actually see a good fix that doesn't have potential to break things when
edge cases do occur.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/