[dns-operations] Trustworthiness of PTR record targets

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Mar 4 17:48:03 UTC 2014

Ignoring that Jim's response was a bit snarky, and also ignoring the
other responses you've already received, it's hard to answer your
question without knowing a bit more about what you're up to. However, in
general:

1. Anyone can put anything in a PTR record. There is no safe assumption
that the content is accurate.

2. In my experience (which is not thorough, but also not zero) anti-spam
folks are completely uninterested in what's in the PTR, and generally do
not do any blacklisting by domain name in the sense you seem to mean.

hth,

Doug