[dns-operations] Trustworthiness of PTR record targets

Glen Wiley glen.wiley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:23:34 UTC 2014

I have seen ISPs and hosting proividers reluctant to offer to add PTR
records for blocks that they control that point to hosts in domains out of
their control.  As a result you end up with either no PTR or a PTR that
points an IP to a host that isn't relevant or correct as far as what the
Internet sees on the host.

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Stephen Malone <
Stephen.Malone at microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Hi Folks,
>

> For PTR records out there that are pointing to domains other than those
> that you control, I'm looking to understand common practice around their
> setup. Two questions:
>

> 1.       In general, can I trust PTR records? Is ownership of the target
> domain validated at setup time by ISPs, and if yes, how is this done?
>
> 2.       If ownership of PTR targets is not routinely validated, is there
> a risk that the target domain could be blacklisted by anti-spam providers?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stephen Malone
>
> Microsoft
>
> ------------------------------
>
> About Microsoft Ireland: www.microsoft.com/ireland
> Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited. A company incorporated and
> registered in Ireland number 256796.
> Microsoft Ireland Research. A company incorporated and registered in
> Ireland number 342235.
> Registered office 70 Sir John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland

Glen Wiley
KK4SFV

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left
to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de
Saint-Exupery