[dns-operations] Trustworthiness of PTR record targets

Stephen Malone Stephen.Malone at microsoft.com
Mon Mar 3 17:26:54 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

For PTR records out there that are pointing to domains other than those that you control, I’m looking to understand common practice around their setup. Two questions:

1.       In general, can I trust PTR records? Is ownership of the target domain validated at setup time by ISPs, and if yes, how is this done?

2.       If ownership of PTR targets is not routinely validated, is there a risk that the target domain could be blacklisted by anti-spam providers?

Thanks,
Stephen Malone
Microsoft

About Microsoft Ireland: www.microsoft.com/ireland
Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited. A company incorporated and registered in Ireland number 256796.
Microsoft Ireland Research. A company incorporated and registered in Ireland number 342235.
Registered office 70 Sir John Rogerson’s Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland