[dns-operations] How to plan dns server IP change?

noc noc at cdns.net
Fri Jun 27 08:54:09 UTC 2014

On 15/06/2014 18:18, Mohamed Lrhazi wrote:
> Also, been thinking that since we cant have both old and new IPs up at
> the same time,

Unless this is a restriction imposed by your registrar, it is fine to
have multiple IP Addresses for one name server.

We ran tests on this and found multiple IP Addresses share the load as
much as multiple NS records. As far as traffic was concerned there
seemed to be no difference between these two choices.

So two NS records with two IPv4 addresses each will share the load ~25%
to each IP.

If one IP stops responding resolvers should just favour the ones that
are still working, so that's what I'd use to migrate the IP over.