[dns-operations] PCAP based detector of malicious DNS traffic

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Fri Jun 27 07:00:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

In addition to Nick Urbanik's work, which is log file based, we've also
provided some tooling to detect the originators and domains in the recent
flood of malicious DNS traffic based on PCAP files.

>From our mailing list post to pdns-users yesterday:

"Secondly, the botnet mitigation code in Recursor 3.6.0 is holding up well,
but we still see A Lot of malicious DNS traffic.  To determine exactly which
users are attacking your recursor with such traffic, we've enhanced
'dnsscope' (one of our DNS analysis tools) with the --servfail-tree option.
This option generates a per-domain suffix list of IP addresses sending
servfail-generating traffic.

A provisional document for how to benefit from --servfail-tree and use it to
configure bulk IP blocking based on ipset can be found on:

          https://gist.github.com/ahupowerdns/53c9ec191f9b32803392

This also includes links on where to download binary packages of dnsscope.
Note by the way that the instructions are not PowerDNS specific, and will
also help you protect other nameservers."

The output of the tool is, like Nick's work, a list of domain names and
additionally the set of IP addresses sending traffic to those domains.

	Bert