[dns-operations] How Recursive Resolvers handle domains re-delegated at the same level

Rich Goodson rgoodson at gronkulator.com
Thu Jul 10 14:09:34 UTC 2014

Stephen,

You can not do a referral “horizontally”.  You can refer down, or even up in some cases, but not sideways at the same level of the hierarchy.

Lots of metaphors come to mind at this point, the most obvious being a tree (I briefly thought about something like, “you can’t marry your first cousin, but you can marry your first cousin once removed, if she belongs to the net or org side of the family, but decided that was too awful, plus outdated because the family is a lot bigger now).

Suffice it to say that if you re-delegate subzone.contstoso.com from ns1.intermediatens.com to ns1.redelegatedns.com, it will break.

-Rich