[dns-operations] What's the story on gmail.fr?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Sun Jul 6 14:34:27 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 03:45:18PM +0200,
 sthaug at nethelp.no <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> But according to the name servers for .fr,
>
> gmail.fr.               172800  IN      NS      dns1.emarkmonitor.com.
> gmail.fr.               172800  IN      NS      dns2.emarkmonitor.com.

gmail.fr had this set of name servers for a very long time (2010, you
can check in DNSDB if you're not sure).

> From my vantage point in Norway (AS 2116), I can't get any answer at
> all from dns{1,2}.emarkmonitor.com - thus gmail.fr is for all purposes
> nonexistent for our customers.

Same problem for me. No idea of the cause. But it is _not_ specific to
.fr or to Google. Same problem for all domains hosted at
dnsN.emarkmonitor.com, like amazon-blog.biz.