[dns-operations] Is it illegal to query the .berlin TLD servers?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Jan 13 16:09:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 06:32:00PM +0100,
>  Peter Koch <pk at DENIC.DE> wrote
>  a message of 21 lines which said:
>
>> Take a breath - or let the compliance jihad begin:
>
> These ICANN rules (against "dotless" domains) are meaningless and
> ridiculous, anyway. I agree that such a TXT or TYPE65534 does no harm
> and should not be forbidden. If it is, it means the law is wrong
> (Dickens?)

Perhaps -- but them's the laws (in *this* context).
ccTLDs are not constrained by these, new gTLDs are -- they signed a contract.

If you believe the laws are wrong (as many do!), come help change them.
I personally think that many of the USA laws are wrong, but seeing as
I don't (usefully) participate in the political process I've lost the
right to kvetch...

And yes, they are not laws, they are contracty bits, and participating
is hard / icky, but...