[dns-operations] Is it illegal to query the .berlin TLD servers?

Alexander Mayrhofer alexander.mayrhofer at nic.at
Mon Jan 13 14:52:47 UTC 2014

Florian Streibelt wrote:
> # dig +short txt berlin
> ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
> "The .berlin-zone is protected through the German Copyright-Law. " "Beyond it
> is protected by criminal law and data protection law. " "Unauthorised entry to
> the zone is prohibited. " "All rights, in particular the right of duplication,
> circulation or usage, belong exclusively to nic.berlin, unless you have an
> explicit written agreement with nic.berlin."

As the backend operator for .berlin, we have now removed the respective record from our zone generation logic. As far as I understand, the original intent of the record was to attach a legal notice to the zone that survives a zone transfer, and - as far as i know - the intent was also that this disclaimer would only apply to the zone as a whole. A similar record has been in use under .at for ages, and never caused any technical nor administrative issues.

thanks,
Alex Mayrhofer